When we adopted Lilly last year we ordered a rather nice bed for her. Lets be real, we have four dog beds for her but this is the big one. I think the style is called a bagel bed since it has a big circular border around it.
It’s a nice quality bed with a sturdy liner on the bottom and removable bedding for easy washing.
However, there is one flaw that I have wanted to address since I first washed it months ago. Again, I almost waited to late to do this but I never could find the time until this week.
The “bagel” part of the bed cover is made with beautiful duck cloth. The problem with duck cloth is that is frays badly. I know this because I make a lot of bags from duck cloth and I always have to zigzag stitch the edges to prevent fraying therefore making it last longer.
Each time was I washing the bed it would fray a bit more until it was getting very close to the zipper. It’s an easy fix once I took the time to do it. I suggest if you buy one of these beds to do it right away. Honestly, the manufacturer should be doing this but they aren’t so it’s worthwhile to do it yourself to make the bed last longer.
I just did a quick zigzag stitch on the fabric that was still remaining in the fraying areas. It’s an easy stitch but maneuvering the large bed around the sewing machine can test your patience.
So, this easy step will increase the life of the bed but since I had it all taken apart I thought I might as well upgrade the bed as well.
I took out the bed portion of it and cut it open to see what it was made of. This is a picture of it and I’m still not clear about what it is. It’s spongy, gray in color and kinda looks like hair or a soft brillo pad. –Update – I had to look at the website to see what it is and it’s called “Super Premium High Loft Polyester Fiberfill”. I felt like after all these months it might be matted down or gross so I decided to change it.
I simply took the previous bed and laid it on top of an old sheet and cut around it. I roughly left about two inches all the way around for a sewing seam allowance and room for extra fluffiness.
I then cut many layers of quilt batting for the new bed.
The cats enjoyed the process.
I may or may not have gotten carried away but my husband kept telling me it didn’t look fluffy enough.
It’s easier to sew the new bed without the stuffing in it so I sewed about 1/2 -3/4 of it closed. I did a straight stitch and also a zigzag stitch to make it extra secure. Neatness doesn’t matter too much in my opinion. Gently insert the stuffing into the liner and sew the opening closed. That part is a little difficult trying to maneuver it around the sewing machine. Hand stitching might be an easier option.
At this point the bed is ready for assembly.
Here is the difference between the old bed insert and the new bed insert. Of course, the bagel part of it makes it look bigger also.
Maybe I did go overboard a little. Maybe.
Either way, Lilly seems to love it!
The entire process took a few hours but I think it’s worth it to extend the life of the bed. It’s certainly less expensive than buying a new bed.
I’m not going to lie. I think this bed might be nicer than mine at this point.